In search of an experienced software engineer
We have been trying to hire such a profile for the last year … The position is hopefully filled now. During that year, we have tried to mine github for candidates. Here is how we did it.
Software engineers, especially experienced, are known to be hard to find. Over the past months, we had steadily been improving our hiring process :
- By regularly rewriting and optimizing our job post
- By posting it on Twitter
- By defining a precise interview template
We went from very few applications to :
- More applications
- More experienced candidates
- Regular interviews
- Effective interviews
Unfortunately, we were still not interviewing candidates as skilled as we would have liked to. We were convinced that we were offering a great job : the project is very interesting, and the team is a dream to work in.
How could we reach more great devs ?
Someday, I played with github’s Rest Api and I managed to write a short ruby script that finds the contributors to a given project that are living near Paris (France).
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
What’s next ?
We eventually filled the position before following our github experiment. We might continue some day though ! Here is a list of improvements I thought of :
- Gather a list of projects that overlap with what we are building
- Search for repositories using some keyword or regular expression
- List github users that contributed to such projects, that live near us and that know java
- Use more complex algorithms to find best candidates (Algorithmic Recruitment With GitHub)
- Spend more time socializing on GitHub (The Complete Guide To Recruiting And Sourcing Candidates On GitHub)
It really looks like if software is eating recruitment …