What’s in it for us ?
If performance is indead a feature, then it can be managed like any feature :
It should result from use cases
During use case X, the user should not wait more than Y seconds for Z
It can be split into user stories
- Story 1: During use case X, the user should not wait more than 2*Y seconds for Z
- Story 2: During use case X, the user should not wait more than Y seconds for Z
- They can be prioritized against other stories
- Let’s forget about performance for now and deliver functionality A as soon as ready, we’ll speed things up later.
- Let’s fix basic performance constraints for use case X for now, every story will have to comply with these constraints later.
- The performance on these use cases should be automatically tested and non regressed
- If we slow things too much and these tests breaks, we’ll have to optimize the code.
- But as long as we don’t break the tests, it’s ok to unoptimize the code !
Maybe that’s a chance to stop performance related gut feeling quarrels !