Philippe Bourgau, Agile and Craft Coach, solving technical challenges with people collaboration.
I want to innovate a more sustainable software industry!
Join me on the path to higher consciousness so we all become change agents!
- Peace rather than emulation
- Freedom rather than safety
- Disruption rather than tradition
- Deliberate Growth rather than comfort
- Learn while doing and making mistakes!
I blog about:
- How to work, think, and coach the eXtreme Programming way
- How to run practical sessions, like workshops and courses, to trigger productive collaboration and grow people
- How to change organizations for a more sustainable pace, even when we are at the bottom of the hierarchy
An early adopter of eXtreme Programming, I have been practicing since 2003 and mentoring teams since 2006. Thanks to XP and refactoring, I have delivered high-quality, fit-to-purpose, and future-proof software with less stress and overtime.
I have worked on many aspects of software: technical, product, people, process, and quality. I contributed to 2 persons as well as multi-team projects. I designed greenfield systems but also refactored legacy code bases.
I believe the two most essential skills for anyone working in the industry are:
- Working in baby steps. It’s always possible to split the work into smaller pieces! Craftsmanship, Lean Product Development, and Continuous Delivery fall into this category.
- People collaboration. G. Weinberg said: “No matter what the problem is, it’s always a people problem.” Pair and Mob Programming, Liberating Structures, Event Storming, Verbal Aikido, and Non-Violent Communication all fall into this category.
These two skills make work safer, more sustainable, productive, and valuable! Combined, they transform work.
Today, I help teams to reach these benefits by adapting these skills to their unique context.
Finally, I love doing side projects, from wannabe businesses to open source.
Here are the main side projects I’ve been working on throughout the years
- TCR: A Golang (Test && Commit || Revert) utility that my Murex colleagues and I are building.
- Event Storming Journal: My friend and colleague Matthieu Tournemire and I are currently “blogging” The 1 hour Event Storming Book, chapter by chapter.
- Built In Quality Game: A table-top game that teaches teams why built-in quality will make them more productive.
- Philou’s Planning Poker: Better poker estimates for remote teams!
- ComplexityAssert: Assert your algorithm time complexity in RSpec (experimental)!
- Storexplore: Transform online stores into APIs!
- RSpecProxies: Simplify RSpec mocking with test proxies!
- AgileAvatars.com: An abandonned side-business about creating custom magnets for agile boards.
- mes-courses.com: An abandonned side project for an online grocery front-end do food shopping for quickly.